Dental emergencies are infrequent, but can occur suddenly during a sports event or rough play. If your child sustains a serious dental injury, you may feel helpless and unsure what to do. Our pediatric dentist and team at Little Smiles Pediatric Dentistry are committed to keeping your child’s smile in good health, and we offer dental emergency care to restore damaged teeth and tissues and eliminate discomfort.
In the event of a dental injury, please call our office immediately to arrange for a meeting with our dentist as soon as possible. If you are unable to visit us right away, we will provide you with information to treat the dental injury until you can see Dr. Jonathon Konz.
You can take steps to preserve your child’s smile and treat discomfort immediately following the injury:
- Place a cold ice pack on the outer cheek area of a damaged tooth to control pain and swelling.
- Collect broken pieces of a tooth and bring them with you in a baggie to our office.
- If a tooth was knocked out, hold it by the crown and place it back in the socket or carry it to our office in a cup of milk.
- Rinse a cracked tooth with warm water and place an ice pack on the outer cheek.
- Rinse bitten or lacerated soft tissues with water and apply a cold compress to the outer area.
- Take your child to an emergency room if you believe that the jaw or another bone is broken.
We can help you minimize your child’s risk of dental injury by providing a comprehensive treatment plan to strengthen and preserve teeth. Our services include dental exams, sealants, crowns, fillings, and nitrous oxide. Please contact our office if you would like to learn more about our dental emergency care in Ashburn, Virginia, and speak with our pediatric dentist about how you can care for your child’s smile.