If your child is suffering from a toothache, we encourage you to try a few at-home remedies before seeking dental care. Many toothaches are caused by a piece of debris that is wedged between two teeth or a tooth and the gum line. Examine your child’s smile for any signs of a stuck piece of food or foreign object. You can also relieve toothaches by rinsing your child’s mouth with warm saltwater.
Your child may need to visit Little Smiles Pediatric Dentistry for toothache treatment if their discomfort fits any of the following criteria:
- You are unable to remove a piece of stuck debris.
- The toothache pain is sharp, throbbing, or persistent.
- Pain occurs when your child bites down or chews.
- Hot or cold food causes tooth sensitivity.
- You can see visible tooth discoloration or gum swelling.
- A dental restoration such as a crown or filling has come loose.
Toothaches can be caused by a number of underlying factors, including tooth decay, loss of tooth enamel, tooth abscess, a broken or cracked tooth, impacted wisdom teeth, tooth grinding, and gum recession. All of these situations should be treated by our experienced pediatric dentist, Dr. Jonathon Konz, who can pinpoint the cause of the pain and provide an appropriate treatment for your child.
Call 703-542-7000 today if you are concerned that your child may need toothache treatment in Ashburn, Virginia, and would like to schedule an appointment.